Thursday 1 December 2011

Writing Prompts

It is amazing to see the ideas that kids can come up with from a single picture prompt... reading my students' writing is one of my favourite things to do (when it comes to marking, anyway!). Usually, we spend some time as a class brainstorming ideas about Characters, Setting, Problem, and Solution. Yesterday the kids wrote stories based on the "mystical tree" image - we brainstormed nouns and adjectives (character & setting) and the kids got some great vocaubulary and ideas from our mind map on the board. I haven't read the stories yet, but I think they will be quite interesting!

Here are some fun picture prompts that I have used with students grades 2 - 6, save them to your computer if you'd like to try them out for your next creative writing lesson!





 




1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I found your blog. I used to use picture prompts and for some reason fell away from that {so many other things creep in and take over}. Thanks for the idea!!!!

    I'm your newest follower! :)

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete